To start page

Residence permit issued by another Schengen country

Foreign nationals who have been issued certain types of residence permits in the other Schengen countries do not need a visa to enter Denmark. The same applies to foreign nationals who have obtained visas for long stays from other Schengen countries (D visa).

If you are in doubt as to whether your residence permit entitles you to enter and stay in Denmark, or another Schengen country, you can check with the country that issued your residence permit.

All residence permits issued by the Danish immigration authorities in the form of a visa for long stay (D visa), or a residence card, which is valid for Denmark, is also valid for entering and staying in Denmark and the other Schengen countries. Residence permits that which are only valid for the Faroe Islands and Greenland are not valid for entry into other Schengen countries.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the other requirements for entering and staying in Denmark or the another Schengen country. Read more about the conditions for obtaining a visa.

See what specific types of residence permits, entitles you to enter Denmark without a visa (Annex 2 to the visa code handbook)

If you have been staying in Denmark or in another Schengen country with a residence permit or on a long term visa limited to another Schengen country (D visa), this stay is not included in the 90 days in any 180-day period, that you can stay in Denmark on a visa or on a visa free stay.

Last update: 5/31/2016
About the content on
Published by: The Danish Immigration Service