To start page

Nordic citizens

Citizens of Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden are free to enter, reside, study and work in Denmark. They do not need a visa, residence or work permit.

Remember identification

As a Nordic citizen, you can enter Denmark without a passport. However, you must be able to identify yourself if required, e.g. if you are staying in a hotel, camping ground, or the like. Your driver's licence or bank card is sufficient identification.

Bringing your family

If your family members are Nordic citizens, they do not need to apply for family reunification. They can enter and reside in Denmark in accordance with the regulations for Nordic citizens.

If your family members are not Nordic citizens, they should either apply for a proof of registration or residence card under the EU regulations or apply for a residence permit under the regulations of the Danish Aliens Act.

The Regional State Administration or the Immigration Service can provide you with additional information about which family members are eligible for a proof of registration/residence card or a residence permit, as well as which requirements must be met.

Read more about the requirements for family reunification.

Hallo Norden is the Nordic Council of Ministers' official information service for private persons and companies in the Nordic countries. The service is aimed at all citizens of the Nordic countries and is particularly relevant to students, jobseekers, persons who wish to move to another Nordic country, and companies which operate within the Nordic countries. Visit the website of Hallo Norden (available in Danish, Finnish, Icelandic, Norwegian and Swedish).

Last update: 7/14/2010
About the content on
Published by: The Danish Immigration Service