To start page

General information

This page contains a list of questions and corresponding answers concerning information in general.

Who can come to Denmark?

Foreign nationals cannot easily enter or reside in Denmark. The conditions to reside in Denmark depend, i.e. on your nationality. Nordic citizens are free to enter, reside, study and work in Denmark. EU/EEA citizens are free to enter Denmark and reside in a short period. You can also stay here for a longer period if i.e. you work or study in Denmark.

Citizens from other countries cannot reside in Denmark without a residence permit on the grounds on work, study, family reunification or asylum.

If you wish to visit Denmark for a short period certain nationalities have to apply for a visa.  

Can former Danish Citizens have a residence permit in Denmark?

Yes, people who are former Danish citizens can obtain a residence permit in Denmark.

Which of the rules for residency apply to Greenland and the Faroe Islands?

Those foreigners requiring a visa for entering Denmark require a special visa for the Faroe Islands and Greenland in order to travel to those places. Likewise, those foreigners must have a special residence permit in order to stay for a longer period on the Faroe Islands or Greenland. Neither the visa nor the residence permit to the Faroe Islands or Greenland gives the holder the right to reside outside of the Faroe Islands or Greenland, including Denmark.

Read more about the rules for residency which apply to Grennland and the Faroe Islands 

Who can get a passport?

There are two different types of passports available to foreigners:

  • A Danish Convention passport (travel documents)
  • A Danish Alien’s passport

Read more about who is able to get a passport

Under what circumstances would a foreigner require a re-entry permit?

A foreigner with a valid residence permit, who wishes to travel out of Denmark and to subsequently return to this country at a point when the residence permit is still valid, does not require a re-entry permit.

Read more about under what circumstances a foreigner would require a re-entry permit - and for how long

When can a school travel list be used?

The EU-school trip list is for school students who are not EU-citizens, who have residence permits in Denmark and who plan to stay for a short time or travel through one or more of the EU-member countries.

Read more about when a school travel list can be used 

Last update: 4/30/2014
About the content on
Published by: The Danish Immigration Service