To start page

Japanese citizens

In order to be granted a working holiday residence permit, you must meet the following conditions:

  • You must be a Japanese citizen primarily residing in Japan at the time of application.
  • The main purpose of your stay must be holiday.
  • You must be between the ages of 18 and 30 at the time of application (both years included).
  • You may not be accompanied by children unless they have their own visa or residence permit.
  • You may not have already held a Danish residence permit under the working holiday programme.
  • You must have a valid passport.
  • You must have a return ticket or sufficient funds to buy one.
  • You must have sufficient funds to pay for food and lodging during the initial part of your stay in Denmark, equal to DKK 15,000.
  • You must be healthy and have a stable background.

You are allowed to follow language courses or similar courses for the purpose of learning about Danish language and culture without having to apply for a special permission.

You are allowed to work for a maximum of six months during a 12-month stay.

Read more about how to apply.

Last update: 9/28/2015
About the content on
Published by: The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration