To start page

Canadian citizens

In order to be granted a working holiday residence permit, you must meet the following conditions:

  • You must be a Canadian citizen primarily residing in Canada at the time of application.
  • The main purpose of your stay must be holiday.
  • You must be between the ages of 18 and 35 at the time of application (both years included).
  • You may not be accompanied by children.
  • You may not have already held a Danish residence permit under the working holiday programme.
  • You must have a valid passport.
  • You must have a return ticket or sufficient funds to buy one.
  • You must have sufficient funds to pay for food and lodging during the initial part of your stay in Denmark, equal to DKK 15,000.
  • You must have complete health insurance coverage, which includes accident, life and home transport, and which is valid during your entire stay.

You are allowed to study or take a training course for a maximum of six months without having to apply for special permission.

You are allowed to work for a maximum of six months during a 12-month stay. You may not take permanent employment.

Read more about how to apply.

Last update: 9/28/2015
About the content on
Published by: The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration