To start page

Retaining foreign labour in Denmark

If your residence permit on the grounds of, for example, asylum or family reunification, has been revoked or denied extension, you can apply for a new residence permit if you have worked in Denmark for an extended period of time. The same applies if you have held a residence permit as an accompanying family member of a person working or studying in Denmark, and the original permit has been revoked.

You can be granted a residence and work permit on the grounds of both skilled and unskilled work, and self-employment.

You can submit your application for a residence and work permit in Denmark up to seven days after receiving the ruling. This 7-day deadline is absolute.

In order to be granted a residence and work permit, you must meet the following conditions:

  • Your residence permit must not have been revoked or denied extension due to fraud, i.e., because you were found to have given the authorities false information
  • You must have been legally employed by the same employer, or have legally operated the same company, for an uninterrupted period of two years
  • You must hold the same job, or operate the same company, as when your original residence permit was revoked or denied extension
  • In the case of salaried work, you must have a written job contract (and the required authorisation, if applicable). Salary and employment conditions must correspond to Danish standards
  • If you operate your own company, you must have employees. If your business is a restaurant or retail shop, it must yield a profit, and you must have no less than 8-10 employees

How to apply

Read more about how to apply for a residence and work permit

Last update: 5/17/2016
About the content on
Published by: The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration