To start page

Extension of a visa

Under certain circumstances, a Schengen visa issued for less than 90 days can be extended to cover a total stay of 90 days.

These circumstances include:

  • Humanitarian considerations, compelling business or personal reasons.
  • New information which was not available at the time the original visa was issued.
  • If you have been prevented from leaving the country due to extraordinary circumstances such as airline strikes or inclement weather (force majeure).
  • You or the person living in Denmark have/has fallen seriously ill.

It is a condition for extension that the purpose of your visit remains unchanged and that you can document that a visa extension is necessary. You must also document that your travel insurance policy is valid for the period for which you want your visa to be extended.

It costs DKK 225 to submit an application for extension.

Other extensions of a stay in Denmark

In some cases, your visa or visa-free stay in Denmark may be extended by a visitation permit of up to 90 additional days. The visitation permit is valid only for Denmark and does not entitle you to visit any other Schengen country. Normally, you can be granted this type of extension if:

  • You are visiting your spouse or cohabiting partner who entered Denmark when you were both at least 23 years and six months old. This is to ensure that spouses or cohabiting partners who do not yet meet the 24-year requirement for family reunification have an opportunity to stay together until the immigration authorities have determined that the other requirements for family reunification are met.
  • You are an EU/EEA citizen or family member of an EU/EEA citizen, and you are visiting your spouse/cohabiting partner, boyfriend/girlfriend or fiancé/fiancée, parents, children or siblings living in Denmark.

If you do not belong to any of these groups, you may only be granted an extension in the event of extraordinary circumstances, such as serious illness on the part of you or the person living in Denmark.

How to apply for an extension

You can submit your application at the Service Centre of the Danish Immigration Service. If you live outside the Greater Copenhagen area, you can also submit the application at a police station with an immigration office. See list of the police stations with an immigration office at
Your passport must be enclosed with the application for extension.

Extension of a Schengen visa
> Application form

A paper version of the application form is also available at the Service Centre of the Immigration Service or at a police station with an immigration office.

Normally, the person you are visiting in Denmark must accompany you.

Important information about your passport

When you apply for an extension of your visa, make sure that your passport is valid. The Immigration Service can revoke or refuse to extend your visa if you do not hold a valid passport or other valid travel documents.

Please note that your visa can only be extended up to three months before your passport expires. In other words, if your passport expires in four months, your visa can only be extended by one month. If you hold a national passport (i.e. a passport from your country of origin), the diplomatic mission (embassy or consulate general) of your country of origin will renew it.

Last update: 6/23/2015
About the content on
Published by: The Danish Immigration Service