You have a residence permit based on a specific job with a specific employer.

If significant changes to your terms of employment are made, you must apply for a new residence and work permit. 

If your residence permit is not based on a specific job, e.g. you are an accompanying family member or have been granted an Establishment card, changes to your terms of employment will have no consequences for your permit. If you have been granted a residence permit under the researcher scheme specific rules apply and you can find further information here.

Here you can see some examples of instances where you must apply for a new work permit:

  • You are offered a new position with a new employer
  • You are given manager responsibility or manager responsibility is taken away from you
  • You are seconded to Denmark and are offered permanent employment in Denmark

If you find a new job, while you are employed, you can start your new job before you have been granted a new residence and work permit.  You just have to submit your application for a new permit no later than on the same day as you start your new job.

Read more about the job changing rule and when it applies here.

If you change your job and submit a new application for a residence and work permit under the Pay Limit scheme, you must pay attention to the fact that the minimum amount is regulated every year on 1 January.

Here you can see some examples of situations where you do not need a new permit:

  • You receive a salary increase

  • Your current employment has been temporary but you are offered permanent employment

  • You change your department within the same company (with the same but your position does not change

  • You get a new title

  • The designation or name for your type of position changes in general within the company

  • You are an engineer and are promoted to senior engineer without any further changes to you job tasks

  • Business transfer. The entire company or the part of the company in which you are employed is transferred to a new owner. The business transfer is regulated by the Danish law on business transfers.

  • The company changes its status from a one-man business to a limited company, public or private, or to a limited liability company - the does not change

In all these sitautions it is, however, important that you remember to apply for an extension in due time, if relevant.

Responsible Agency

Contact SIRI