The expected maximum processing time is
3 months

Who can be granted an extension of a passport

In certain situations, you can extend a Danish travel document (convention passport) or an alien’s passport that is about to expire.

There is no fee to apply for an extension.

How long can your passport be extended?

How long your passport can be extended depends on your age.

  • If you are under 2 years old, your passport can be extended for up to two years past the date of issue
  • If you are between 2 and 18 years old, your passport can be extended for up to five years past the date of issue
  • If you are over 18 years old, your passport can be extended for up to 10 years past the date of issue

Your passport cannot be extended beyond six months after your residence permit’s expiry date.

School trips without passport

Children holding a residence permit in Denmark who would like to go on a school trip to another EU country will normally be able to travel without a passport, provided they are registered on the school’s travel list.

Read more about school travel lists

The information below explains what you need to do when you apply for a passport for foreign nationals.  

Set aside

15 to 20 minutes

to fill in the application form

1 person

You, the applicant, need to fill in the application form

The application form includes detailed instructions for how to fill it in and which types of documentation you need to enclose.

You need a NemID code card when filling in the application form. Read more about NemID

If you want to resume filling in an application form online select ‘Start online application’. Once you are logged in, select ‘Continue a previously saved application’.

If you would like to make changes to an online application after you have submitted it, you need to contact the Immigration Service. You do not need to submit a new application. Contact the Immigration Service

Start PA1-2 online application


You are required to use the online self-service form PA1-2 when applying for extension of a passport, unless you are exempt from this requirement. Read more about mandatory online self-service

When you submit an application to the Immigration Service, we will process your personal information. You can read more about your rights and how we process your information in the application form or on this page: Personal data – How we process your data


When you have submitted the application, you must send us the passport you wish to have extended. You can send it to the Immigration Service by mail to the following address:

The Danish Immigration Service
Farigmagsvej 51A
4700 Næstved

You do not have to attach a letter when you send us the passport. We can find your case based on the information in your passport.

You can also hand in the passport by putting it in the Immigration Service’s mailbox in Næstved


Responsible Agency

Contact us