If you are a citizen of Finland, Iceland, Norway or Sweden, you are free to enter, live, study and work in Denmark. You do not need a visa or residence permit.

As a Nordic citizen, you can enter Denmark without a passport. However, you must be able to identify yourself if required, e.g. if you are staying in a hotel, camping ground, or the like. Your driver's license or bank card is sufficient identification.

Bringing your family

If your family members are Nordic citizens, they do not need to apply for family reunification. They can enter and reside in Denmark in accordance with the regulations for Nordic citizens.

If your family members are not Nordic citizens, they should either apply for a proof of registration or residence card under the EU regulations or apply for a residence permit under the regulations of the Danish Aliens Act.

The State Administration or the Immigration Service can provide you with additional information about which family members are eligible for a proof of registration/residence card or a residence permit, as well as which requirements must be met.

Read more about the requirements for family reunification

Hallo Norden is the Nordic Council of Ministers' official information service for private persons and companies in the Nordic countries. The service is aimed at all citizens of the Nordic countries and is particularly relevant to students, jobseekers, persons who wish to move to another Nordic country, and companies which operate within the Nordic countries. Visit the website of Hallo Norden (available in Danish, Finnish, Icelandic, Norwegian and Swedish).