The expected maximum processing time is
10 months

Who can be granted family reunification?

You can only be approved for family reunification to live with an unaccompanied minor residing in Denmark if you are the child’s parent or minor sibling and if Denmark is expected to do so under its international obligations.

Reasons for approving such applications for family reunification include whether it is in the child’s best interests for you to be granted a residence permit.

What are the requirements?

When assessing whether you qualify for family reunification to live with a minor child, the Immigration Service will consider the details of the child’s life in his/her home country. Such details include: whether the child had a family-like relationship with the family members now seeking a residence permit in Denmark, or whether the child cut ties to your family, by, for example, living on his/her own or with others, such as other family members.

The child’s age will also be a significant consideration. If you are the parent of a very young child in Denmark, you will normally be approved for family reunification.

If the child is older, more weight will be placed on other details of the situation, given that an older child normally can be assumed to have less need to live with his/her parents.

If the child has a family network in Denmark the Immigration Service will also be taking this into account when making its assessment.

Which type of residence permit will you be granted?

If your application for family reunification is approved, you will be granted a temporary residence permit, typically valid for one year. If you and the person in Denmark still meet the requirements for residency, your residence permit can be extended. Read more about extending residence permits

 If you are granted a residence permit in Denmark, you may work during the same period as the residence permit is valid.

The information below explains how to apply for a residence permit based on family reunification.  

You and the unaccompanied minor in Denmark each need to fill in part of the application form. You will also need to enclose documentation. It is a good idea to gather the documentation before you start.

You may need:

The unaccompanied minor may need:

Set aside

20 to 30 minutes

to fill in the application form

2 persons

You and the unaccompanied minor in Denmark each need to fill in part of the application form.


The application form includes detailed instructions for how to fill it in and which types of documentation you need to enclose.

You can fill in the application form in Word format on your computer before printing it out. The application form is also available as a PDF file that can be printed out and filled in by hand.

Download form SG2 for print

When you submit an application to the Immigration Service, we will process your personal information. You can read more about your rights and how we process your information in the application form or on this page: Personal data – How we process your data

When processing your case, we may seek to verify the accuracy of the information you have given. Read more about verification at the Danish Immigration Service


Applying from abroad

You can submit your application at a Danish mission (embassy or consulate), or an outsourcing office in the country where you live.

See the list of Danish missions or outsourcing offices where you can hand in your application

If there is no Danish mission or outsourcing offices in the country where you live, the list refers to missions Denmark shares a representation agreement with, e.g. Norway or Sweden. If there is no representation agreement, the list refers to the nearest Danish mission or outsourcing office in the region.

The Immigration Service recommends that you visit the website of the closest embassy or consulate before you submit your application. Individual offices might have additional requirements, such as extra passport photos or copies of your application.

Applying in Denmark

If you are in Denmark legally, you can normally submit your application in Denmark. You are in Denmark legally if you:

  • hold a valid visa
  • are not required to hold a visa, or
  • hold a valid Danish residence permit.

You can submit your application to the Immigration Service at Citizen Service. If you live outside Greater Copenhagen, you can also submit your application at a police station that is capable of recording biometric features. See the list of police stations capable of recording biometric features

You can also send your application to the Immigration Service in the post.

Read more about the rules for submitting your application in Denmark 

When you submit your application, you will normally need to have your fingerprints recorded and a picture of your face taken. These are also known as your biometric features. Your biometric features are required in order for you to get a new residence card.

When you live with your parent in Denmark, you don’t need a residence card. If you don’t want a card, you don’t need to have your fingerprints or picture taken.

Read more about residence cards with fingerprints and facial pictures

Responsible Agency

Contact us