Questions and answers

You are required to register your address with the Civil Registration System (CPR) in Denmark.

To register with the CPR, contact your municipality.

When you contact your municipality, you will be requested to provide the administrative CPR number provided in the letter you received from the Immigration Service concerning your residence permit. You cannot access health services or other services that require a CPR number until you register your address with the municipality.

In order to avoid double registering, it is important that you inform the municipality that you were issued an administrative CPR number when you register.

An administrative CPR number is an ordinary CPR number that is initially created for use by a public agency when processing an application.

Read more about how the Immigration Service issues administrative CPR numbers

If you are over 18 years old, you need to have a residence card as proof of your residence permit. Your residence card will be ordered when you register your address in the CPR.

Your residence card will automatically be sent to the address you are registered with in the CPR after about two or three weeks.

Because you need to be able to show proof that you have residence permit in Denmark, you need to have your residence card with you at all times.

If you have been granted a residence permit as a religious worker, you must pass an extension test (testing your Danish language skills and your knowledge of Denmark and Danish society) in order to qualify for an extension of your residence permit in Denmark. You need to pass the test within six months of being granted residence permit.

Read more about the extension test

You need to pass the Danish family law, individual/fundamental rights and democracy course within 6 months after you have been granted a residence permit as a religious worker. Read more about how to sign up for the course