Due to technical maintenance the online application forms at are unavailable. Read more in the news article from 10 Januar 2020.

If there is information available which indicates that being granted a residence permit would be at odds with the interests of the child, the Immigration Service will ask the municipal authority for a statement before processing the case.

The child's stay abroad

If a child's residence permit has lapsed, and the Danish Immigration Service decides that there can be no dispensation, the Immigration Service will also consider whether the child can be granted a new residence permit.

In cases in which a child loses his/her residence permit after residing abroad, a new residence permit can only be granted if it is in the child’s best interest.

This will always depend on a specific assessment.

In the assessment, the Immigration Service will consider:

  • The duration and character of the child’s residence in Denmark compared with the child’s stay in his/her homeland.
  • The country in which the child has spent the majority of his/her childhood.
  • Where the child has attended school and the languages spoken by the child
  • Family ties and social networks

It is given special consideration if the child has resided in Denmark in his/her formative years.

If the child was forced to live abroad against his/her will on a re-education visit or another visit of negative impact, it will normally speak for a new residence permit in Denmark to the child.