Due to technical maintenance the online application forms at are unavailable. Read more in the news article from 10 Januar 2020.

If you are not from one of the Nordic countries you have to have a permit in order to work in Greenland or the Faroe Islands. 

Work permits can, however, have certain limitations. E.g. if you have a student permit for higher education you can only work up to 15 hours weekly, but full time in June, July and August.

Your work permit is as a rule limited to you working for a specific employer.

Your letter of permit will always state if you have the right to work, and if there are any limitations as to where you are allowed to work and the allowed quantity of work. If there is any doubt about this you can contact us.

It is your own responsibility to have a work permit if this is required according to the rules.


If you work without the required permit, you risk  being fined or imprisoned.

You also risk being expelled from Greenland or the Faroe Islands.

If you are a Nordic citizen you can start working right away. The Nordic countries are Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland.

If you are a citizen of an EU country, an EEA country or Switzerland you need a permit to work in Greenland or the Faroe Islands. However, if you are a citizen of an EU country you do not need a visa to enter Greenland or the Faroe Islands.