To start page


Frequently asked questions about the greencard scheme

How long will it take to process my application?

We have received a large amount of applications under the greencard scheme. This means that the normal 30 day service goal for maximum processing time has been temporarily suspended. If it is necessary to have your educational level assessed by the Danish Agency for Universities and Internationalisation, you will be notified.

Read more about the assessment of your educational level.

Read more about the processing of your case.

Where can I submit my application?

You can submit it at the Danish diplomatic mission (embassy or consulate general) in your country of origin (or the country where you have resided legally for the past three months). The mission will then forward your application to Danish Agency for Labour Retention and International Recruitment, where it will be processed.

If there is no Danish diplomatic mission in your country of origin (or country of residence), it is often possible to submit your application at the mission of another Schengen country. See the Danish Foreign Ministry's list of countries where Denmark is represented by another Schengen country.

If you are residing legally in Denmark (e.g. based on another residence permit, procedural stay, visa, or visa-free stay), you can normally submit your application in Denmark. You can submit your application at the Service Centre . If you live outside Greater Copenhagen, you can also submit your application at the local police who will then forward it to the Danish Agency for Labour Retention and International Recruitment. Read more about how to apply.

How many points can I obtain for my education?

The Immigration Service cannot tell you in advance how many points you will be given. If the Immigration Service is unable to assess your educational level, they will ask the Danish Agency for International Education to assess it. You should be able to get a general impression of the points you can obtain on the page describing the point system. Read more about the point system.

Must I submit a letter of confirmation from my university?

In your application you must include an official statement from your university which clearly states which educational degree you have achieved, and during which period you achieved it.

How long is my residence and work permit valid?

You can be granted a first-time residence permit under the greencard scheme for up to 3 years. Before the end of this period, you can apply for an extension of up to 1 year. Before the end of this period, you can apply for an extension of up to four years. Read more about duration and extension.

Last update: 8/9/2012
About the content on
Published by: The Danish Agency for Labour Retention and International Recruitment
The Danish Immigration Service > Contact  |  The Danish Agency for Labour Market and Recruitment> Contact  |  Technical support